[OpenFontLibrary] theleagueofmoveabletype.com is switching to the Open Font License

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Fri Jun 5 01:36:32 PDT 2009

[...]

A quick note (I need focus to focus on other projects today):

> which reminds me, it would be nice to have a document with a good set of
> arguments clearing out that the OFL doesn't mean people will be able to
> 'steal' your stuff any more than a proprietary license (it will actually
> make you more friends :)
>
> if anyone's also up for it, i'd be interested in group-drafting a FAQ of
> sorts for designers who might be reluctant to step towards libre
> licensing of their work, clearing up common misunderstandings and
> allaying some fears they might have regarding that. And then we could
> get in touch with them, especially given that there's an expert PR
> person on the boat (go Dave :o)
>
> out of my head, a few arguments:
> * your work will be credited
> * it would get much more visibility and respect than what the 'free
> font' websites give
> * anyone who would steal or hijack an open font would do the same if it
> was freeware (or even proprietary, given that you can find 90% of
> commercial fonts on p2p -- not a safe argument but still)
> * a good metaphor for being open is sharing your lunch and making
> friends, not opening your house to burglars (this one is *way* too
> common among designers, in my experience)
> * and so on.
>
> do you think building up this kind of traditional-designer-oriented
> argumentary makes sense?

I think it's another excellent idea to help with advocacy. It's always
up to the authors to choose but we can make surely the case :-)

Your perspective as a designer doing advocacy to designers is VERY
welcome.  I'd say that designers have quite a few things to teach the
FLOSS community actually :-)

Can I suggest extending/completing/adjusting the following resources:
http://scripts.sil.org/OFL-FAQ_web
http://unifont.org/go_for_ofl/downloads/OFLCampaignLetterTemplate.odt

There are good thoughts about this in our wiki too.

Also, Victor Gaultney and Denis Jacquerye's talks at AtypI conferences
made very good points to the question "what's in it for me as a designer
in doing open fonts?"

Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary
http://planet.open-fonts.org