[OpenFontLibrary] theleagueofmoveabletype.com is switching to the Open Font License

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Sun Jun 7 14:43:41 PDT 2009

>> which reminds me, it would be nice to have a document with a good set of
>> arguments clearing out that the OFL doesn't mean people will be able to
>> 'steal' your stuff any more than a proprietary license (it will actually
>> make you more friends :)
>
> As NS already mentioned, he and I and Ed (and others, I forget) worked
> on a ODT/PDF "Go For OFL!" letter which got permission from various
> orgs to use their logo to lend credibility to the letter.
>
>> if anyone's also up for it, i'd be interested in group-drafting a FAQ of
>> sorts for designers who might be reluctant to step towards libre licensing
>> of their work, clearing up common misunderstandings and allaying some fears
>> they might have regarding that.
>
> Jump into the wiki :-)

OK, I put some notes I had lying around about this in our wiki:
http://openfontlibrary.org/wiki/DesignersPerspectiveOpenFonts

Food for thought and a basis for your advocacy resources to designers I
hope :-)

>> do you think building up this kind of traditional-designer-oriented
>> argumentary makes sense?
>
> Totally :-)

Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary
http://planet.open-fonts.org