[OpenFontLibrary] Firefox 3.5 showing off @font-face prominently

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Jun 17 11:30:47 PDT 2009

Le mercredi 17 juin 2009 à 19:19 +0100, Dave Crossland a écrit :

> > I'm not impressed but then I'm about the only person on this list who
> > never believed in @font-face world-saving powers in the first place.
>
> What would you have instead? :-)

Browser people:
1. promoting a good complement of libre fonts so more are installed by
default
2. spending their dev time in implementing stuff like font-stretch

@font-face is just a way to inject more mis-licensed, bitrotten and
buggy fonts in the system. Whoever though people writing CSS files are
the right ones to vet font files for suitability should be shot.

I mean, most of them have *still* not realised they could use "sans"
instead of/in addition to "arial" in their rules.

If they had taken the same path for video codecs we'd have *no* browser
support for ogg and theora today and a lot of would-be site authors
specifying divX/mpeg4 all over the place.

--
Nicolas Mailhot