[OpenFontLibrary] versioning

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu May 7 13:21:00 PDT 2009

2009/5/7 Schrijver <eric at authoritism.net>:

> One exciting development I didn’t mention yet on the list, is that GitHub
> now supports visualising UFO’s:

Whats the best free replacement for github? Trac perhaps?

> However there still is a gap within this workflow—how do you generate
> distributable font files from the UFO?
> It would be great if you could do that programmaticaly, so you could have a
> completely hosted solution, where you can download snapshot-fonts of the
> development process…

FontForge can do it very easily with python scripting:

$ git clone git://github.com/rbmntjs/open-baskerville.git
$ cat > ufo2ttf.py << EOF
#!/usr/bin/python
import fontforge, sys
fontIn = sys.argv[1]
fontOut = sys.argv[2]
thisFont = fontforge.open(fontIn)
thisFont.generate(fontOut,flags=("round", "dummy-dsig",
"PfEd-comments", "PfEd-colors", "PfEd-lookups", "PfEd-guidelines",
"PfEd-background"))
EOT
$ python font.py open-baskerville/OpenBaskerville.ufo ob.ttf

Then you have ob.ttf to do with what you will.