[OpenFontLibrary] versioning

Aaron Spaulding professionalaaron at gmail.com
Fri May 8 06:31:32 PDT 2009

Schrijver wrote:
> Hello,
>
> &props to anyone at the Libre Graphics Meeting!
>
> I am not in Montréal, wish you all a lot of fun there, but thought I
> could join in the spirit of collaboration :-)
> So I put together a page on possible workflows for collaborative
> development of typefaces!
>
> at the wiki: http://openfontlibrary.org/wiki/Collaborative_Design_Workflows
>
> I am really interested in mapping the mechanisms of Open Source software
> development to the production of cultural artefacts;  There was a
> discussion on Typophile before on this, in March,
> And I conversed with Nicolas and Liam about this on ##fonts (most of the
> links on this page come from Nicolas).
>
> Unfortunately some things came in my way to pursue this further
> But better late than never, no?
>
> The wiki-page talks about versioning in general, But with regards to
> fonts I have only one particular experience, being with the
> OpenBaskerville project, which uses the UFO format and is hosted on GitHub.
> I thought I’d share some of the developments and open questions here.
>

> One exciting development I didn’t mention yet on the list, is that
> GitHub now supports visualising UFO’s:
> http://github.com/rbmntjs/open-baskerville/tree/bc03fca9968df8683b3df2ae9afb0185c4acf433/OpenBaskerville.ufo
>

> And even, this I think is super funky, visual diffs!
> http://github.com/rbmntjs/open-baskerville/commit/c5b3322fb49baa3104363ca98546c684d940c0ef
>

> I had sent them a mail asking if they could help me create something
> similar using their API, and they responded within a day. saying that
> they thought it was so cool that we were pushing for collaborative
> development of open source typefaces, that they had hacked together
> basic UFO support on GitHub!
>
> And within another two days, it was a live feature of the site
>
> However there still is a gap within this workflow—how do you generate
> distributable font files from the UFO?
> It would be great if you could do that programmaticaly, so you could
> have a completely hosted solution, where you can download snapshot-fonts
> of the development process…
>
> Completely 21st century agile!
>
> Tal Lemings UFO2FDK is meant to aid in the process of generating OTF’s,
> but interfaces with the proprietary and platform-specific AFDKO
> http://code.typesupply.com/wiki/ufo2fdk .
>
> Anyone smart ideas?
>
> Take care,
>
> Eric

I pretty much just had the same idea.  If we could create the font on
the fly a user could mix, match, subset, or apply effects to the font
from a web interface.  Then the user could save the derived version to
their account.  If the original version is updated the derivatives could
be regenerated automatically.

--
Aaron
sachimp.com