[OpenFontLibrary] use of (c) typefaces

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Fri May 8 07:15:49 PDT 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe we should have some kind of WhatTheFont client in admin panel to
> check uploaded fonts for being actually (c) typefaces?

How does one do that?  Tell us the technical details.

The program I wrote, Fontaine, determines the license from the
"Copyright" field.  We can use that to prevent storage of Fonts which
lack an approved Open Source license.

But I assume that the problem you are really trying to address is one
of people copying glyph outlines into a new font that they claim to be
their own?  For that kind of situation, one would, I assume, have to
try to match glyph outlines against some searchable database of glyph
outlines ... sounds hard to do ...

Best - Ed