[OpenFontLibrary] Site terminology: Free/Open/Libre

Robert Martinez mail at mray.de
Sat May 16 05:46:06 PDT 2009

Dave Crossland wrote:

> What do you think?
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

We have a problem.
One way or the other: our kind of freedom is new to many.
We can avoid a disambiguity with "libre" - but we still have to keep to
explain it.
So you really want to abandon the word "free"?
"Free" is part of  "Freedom", and to abandon this fact - in my eyes - is
losing part of that freedom.
I really see all the negative consequences of sticking with "free", but
if you abandon freedom so easily,
one day you wake up and notice that you were right in calling it
differently. I don't want that.

There is this sentence that describes exactly how I feel:

   "I want to be free."

And I think there is no other way to put this in words.

That's what I think.

Cheers,
Robert