[OpenFontLibrary] PT sans dual-licensed now

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Sat Apr 10 03:53:21 PDT 2010

Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Dave Crossland wrote:
>
>> This has the SIL OPEN FONT LICENSE Version 1.0 - 22 November 2005 -
>> and the current version is 1.1 - http://scripts.sil.org/OFL#5667e9e4
>>
>> I will email Paratype about this.
>
> Um, already acknowledged and to be fixed in few days.
>
> Alexandre

Thanks (or rather Спасибо!) for all the advocacy efforts to convince
them of doing a proper OFL release of this high-quality font family!
Great to see their reaction to community input as indicated on
http://www.paratype.com/cinfo/news.asp?NewsId=318 (website in English)

I think this is great news for many writing systems used throughout the
Russian Federation.

PTSans_OFL.zip does have what is needed (the minimum): the fonts
themselves with metadata filled in and a separate license file for OFL
1.1 containing the copyright notice header and the chosen reserved font
names.

|-- PTC55F.ttf
|-- PTC75F.ttf
|-- PTN57F.ttf
|-- PTN77F.ttf
|-- PTS55F.ttf
|-- PTS56F.ttf
|-- PTS75F.ttf
|-- PTS76F.ttf
`-- PTSansOFL.txt

A quick look at the metadata (with PTC55F.ttf for example) shows:

Fontname: PTSans-Caption
Version: 2.003
Weight: Book
Copyright: Copyright © 2009 ParaType Ltd. All rights reserved.
License URL:
http://scripts.sil.org/OFL_web
Designer URL:
http://www.paratype.com/help/designers/
Designer:
A.Korolkova, O.Umpeleva, V.Yefimov
Vendor URL:
http://www.paratype.com
PT Sans is a type family of universal use. It consists of 8 styles:
regular and bold weights with corresponding italics form a standard
computer font family; two narrow styles (regular and bold) are intended
for documents that require tight set; two caption styles (regular and
bold) are for texts of small point sizes. The design combines
traditional conservative appearance with modern trends of humanistic
sans serif and characterized by enhanced legibility. These features
beside conventional use in business applications and printed stuff made
the fonts quite useable for direction and guide signs, schemes, screens
of information kiosks and other objects of urban visual communications.
The fonts next to standard Latin and Cyrillic character sets contain
signs of title languages of the national republics of Russian Federation
and support the most of the languages of neighboring countries. The
fonts were developed and released by ParaType in 2009 with financial
support from Federal Agency of Print and Mass Communications of Russian
Federation. Design - Alexandra Korolkova with assistance of Olga
Umpeleva and supervision of Vladimir Yefimov.
Trademark:
PT Sans is a trademark of the ParaType Ltd.

I'll take care of getting this nicely packaged on the Debian/Ubuntu side
of things.

BTW about their project-specific license available and linked to from
http://www.paratype.com/public/pt_openlicense_eng.asp
you may want you point out the following bugs:
- need to sync descriptions between "pt openlicense agreement" and "free
font licensing agreement"
- distinguishing between embedding in documents and fontlinking in
webpages is much better: "embedding in documents and Web pages" ->
"embedding in documents and font linking in webpages"
- "by itself" -> "by themselves"
- "free downloading" and "they are free" are very ambiguous

Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary
http://planet.open-fonts.org