[OpenFontLibrary] Fwd: PT Sans licensing query

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Sat Jan 9 09:05:39 PST 2010

Dave Crossland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thoughts?
>
> I think this is okay and worth encouraging; does anyone have any other
> suggestions for me to pass on to Emil? :-)

I see the ongoing discussion with them as an encouraging sign of
goodwill from a major and prestigious foundry :-)

It's great to see them considering more open terms for some of the their
fonts and mentioning that some of their clients like the idea but let's
not rush over the important details (there are also some bugs and
ambiguities in their proposed draft too).

I'll be replying to Emil Yakupov shortly.

As indicated earlier, we certainly don't want to encourage further
fragmentation of the existing licensing spectrum for libre/open fonts.

We really need to make the case that a duplicative and non-reusable font
family-specific license is NOT A GOOD IDEA. The last thing we need are
all the well-meaning foundries cooking up their own OFL-like quasi libre
license for each of the fonts they want to release for redistribution
and modification. That will really cause confusion for users and
designers, unnecessary silos for font software and community pain more
than anything else :-(

All licensing authors and stewards have a clear policy of not approving
or validating translations of licenses which could cause huge problems
and open the door to abuse but instead have a policy of encouraging
unofficial translations of the license and the corresponding
documentation alongside the original. For example for the GPL:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLTranslations and for
the OFL: http://scripts.sil.org/OFL#0b8d92bc

I need to point out that Russia is signatory to the international
copyright treaties and while providing a clear Russian unofficial
translation of a license + FAQ is very useful for understanding, I doubt
that they strictly reject software licenses not written in Russian. That
would keep away a huge amount of software. Remember we are not talking
about contracts and contract laws but about author's copyrights and
global copyright law based on the international treaties.

Of course every author/foundry is entitled to release their creation
under their own terms whatever that may be, but it they want to release
for modification and redistribution to the FLOSS community and reap the
benefits, we have a responsibility to encourage them to do it in the
best way possible: one that benefits them and doesn't create a mess in
our community...

Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary
http://planet.open-fonts.org