[OpenFontLibrary] workflow hints

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 08:12:30 PDT 2010

Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 09:32:48AM +0200, Ben Laenen wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 3:53 AM, Peter Baker <b.tarde at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Couple of quick points. First, the FontForge format has always been
> > > plain text. It works well with CVS, SVN, etc.
> >
> > Only if you cut out the unneeded bits like we do with DejaVu. If we
> > would forget to run that script and commit a change to SVN we'd get
> > something like a 2 MB patch.
>
> Not my experience, I do post-edit the file before committing, but it is
> usually few cosmetics, nothing big, the last time I used the dejavu
> scripts they broke my files, my be I did something wrong, but this was a
> while ago and I didn't check again since then.

FF remembers which windows were opened, several settings, which glyph points
were selected etc. This can all be discarded.

I'm not saying that you can't use standard sfd files with svn, but with our
normalizing script we make sure that editing one glyph will only affect the
part of the sfd file that describes that glyph, and nothing else.

Ben