[OpenFontLibrary] Open Font Library v3: Drupal?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed Jun 30 10:23:02 PDT 2010

Hi,

When the site gets broken, the error message asks people to email me
about it so I fix it.

When I do this, I email people back and ask them if they are PHP
developers and would like to help contribute. One of the kind souls
who replied to this is Ron Williams of www.lithicmedia.com who is a
PHP website developer who has volunteered on the Drupal core codebase.

I spoke to him on the phone yesterday for about an hour and a half
about the OFLB and his ideas for a new version based on Drupal. Ron
showed me some of his work, which I like -
http://www.tmgcustommedia.com/ http://codyfisher.com/ - and explained
how he's hoping to contribute to projects with a long term impact, and
he believes web fonts will become increasingly important in the next
few years, so he'd like to join the OFLB effort.

I took a look at what's coming with Drupal 7.x -
http://drupal.org/node/774926 - and the new file_load(), file_save(),
and file_validate() functions and hooks sound ideal for us. The
built-in version control of nodes looks good too, and jQuery UI is
baked in. The "drush" shell program also looks good, allowing us to
script the bulk import of fonts into the site. I'm actually surprised
at how much Drupal has evolved in recent years, I last used it in 2004
and heard earlier this year it still had a bad reputation. I also see
the Software Freedom Law Center is supporting the core team.

Since Jon Philips has withdrawn from OFLB, we've kinda lost the link
to Aiki, and I'm happy to use Drupal.

Thoughts? :-)