[OpenFontLibrary] Recent non-font content on OFLB

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Fri Mar 5 01:29:00 PST 2010

Daniel Johnson wrote:
> I've noticed a number of non-font uploads (and some outright spam)
> posted on OFLB recently.  I haven't done an exhaustive search, but the
> following uploads are not fonts.  The first is spam, and the other
> three are just images.
>
> custom research paper
> Untitled-2
> Wilson Vision (WARPED)
> LogoArgonauticos
>
> Is there a plan in place to ensure that every OFLB entry has a font attached?

Yes, IIRC from previous discussions (and also podcasts) each submission
needs to be in the form of a tarball/zip file with a minimum set of
files: font software in ttf/otf, FONTLOG (and then as much extended
sources files as possible are encouraged to be included as seen fit by
the uploader).

The recent spam problems prove the need for appropriate moderation and
review steps to be in place otherwise we get easily spammed and the
library sadly turns into a junkyard... :-(  (not to say that you can't
find gems in a junkyard but well it's much harder... and not everyone
likes to do it...)

Dave? Ben? Jon? What about the new site?

> Cheers,
> Daniel_J

Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary
http://planet.open-fonts.org