[OpenFontLibrary] Windows 5k Name table restriction

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Fri Mar 19 03:38:41 PDT 2010

Paul Flo Williams wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>> Interesting: this effects us, I think. A url of a license is not as ideal
>> as
>> the full license text, but I guess will have to do.
>
> Please read this:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978909/
>
> This article says that a regression was introduced by security update
> 961371. The regression imposes an artificial 2,500 character length
> limitation on strings that are contained in OpenType or TrueType fonts.
> They mean 2.5K Unicode characters, or 5000 bytes.
>
> A subsequent security update, 972270, has restored the character length
> limitation for individual strings to 64 KB (32,768 Unicode characters),
> matching the OpenType specification.
>
> Carry on embedding!

Hey that was quick :-)
Thanks for researching this and posting the precise details!

Good to know the bug was fixed. Thanks to the MS folks for their efforts
in getting this resolved.

We can carry on metadata-ing as well :-)
And adjust the checks in the open font design toolkit.

Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary
http://planet.open-fonts.org