[OpenFontLibrary] Font for hiding passwords

Felix E. Klee felix.klee at inka.de
Fri Nov 19 02:39:54 PST 2010

Thanks for all suggestions! I have now created a font:

  http://openfontlibrary.org/files/feklee/331

However, I had issues with encoding. I created a TrueType font with all
Unicode BMP characters, except U+FFFD, U+FFFE, U+FFFF (to get below the
sfnt size limitation). This worked, but I could not upload the ca. 1MB
ZIP file to the Open Font Library. Got a PHP error message. The unzipped
sfd file was about ten Megabytes, even though all non-default glyphs
were references to the default one.

At least on Windows XP, the encoding is not much of an issue for this
font since the default glyph is used for any missing glyphs. However, as
can be seen when visiting the above URL, it's a problem on the web.

How would I select a character set in FontForge that is not as big as
Unicode BMP, but that is sufficient for most purposes?

Interesting, I assume, would be the WGL4 character set:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WGL-4

But I don't see a way to select it in FontForge, or how to somehow
import it.