[OpenFontLibrary] [Blueprint font-face-generator] The library must automatically generate @font-face files for uploaded fonts

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Mon Mar 21 14:38:22 PDT 2011

On 21 March 2011 06:39, Christopher Adams <chris at raysend.com> wrote:
> is everyone of the opinion that there is less and less
> rationale for implementing static image font samples at all? For
> example, http://www.google.com/webfonts is a @font-face-only affair.

GWF has 'font.menu" files with 5-12 glyphs in to display the font name
on the landing page, instead of 'fontname.png'

The PNG is WAY smaller than the 'MENU' file so I think PNGs are better.

Perhaps if we are generating EOT/WOFF/SVG/etc then generating a 'menu'
file like Google Web Fonts instead of a PNG makes sense.

However, the other bonus for PNG generation is that we get to display
the font rendered by Pango/Harfbuzz, which is a leading OpenType
layout engine and puts proprietary software to shame! :)