[OpenFontLibrary] Improving Metadata: Could OFLB modify fonts on the server?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri May 13 15:11:02 PDT 2011

Hi,

OFLB exposes font metadata serverside. But most fonts have inaccurate metadata.

The site could allow the community to modify fonts metadata to make it
more accurate - TTX allows modification of metadata tables without
modifying any other data)  ensure it is accurate (PANOSE, etc) - and
this would be a great help for FontMatrix, Viaduct, etc.

I wonder about the OFL RFN though - this option is typically used, and
it requires any modifications to be renamed, so I guess this feature
would not be available for RFN fonts....

Google Web Fonts requires contributors to waive the RFN to allow them
to make modifications, so perhaps the OFLB form could also get
uploaders to confirm this.

Thoughts? :-)

--
Cheers