[OpenFontLibrary] Adobe's Source Sans Pro

Denis Jacquerye moyogo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 04:11:03 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 11:14 AM, vern adams <vern at newtypography.co.uk> wrote:
> It's a bad OS/2 usWeightClass value (nothing to do with CSS).
Where do you get that from?
The specs http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/os2.htm do not
specify such restriction on usWeightClass, even if it describes
specific values. Microsoft and Adobe frequently talk about a 1 to 999
range (see http://blogs.adobe.com/typblography/atypi2006/CSS%20%26%20OT%2015.pdf
or http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.fontweights.aspx).

> So, the '250'
> is getting rounded up to '300' and therefore clashing with the Light version
> which already has WeightClass of 300.
> I think it's simple human error; the usWeightClass in the 'font.ttf' that
> Adobe have included with the source of Source Sans Extra Light is '200'.

The 250 is common practice, not human error. See
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/opentype/afdko/topic_font_wt_win.html

--
Denis Moyogo Jacquerye