[OpenFontLibrary] The future of OFLB development

Daniel Johnson il.basso.buffo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 08:27:54 PST 2012

Drupal Pluses:
1. Good user management out of the box
2. Good theming separation-of-concerns
3. Well-maintained core code
4. Modular structure which allows for custom expansion.

Drupal drawbacks:
1. Memory hog
2. Error-prone caching system
3. Difficult to tune when massively scaling
4. Procedural coding style
5. Would require many hundreds of LOC to wrap the hierarchical data structures. Such custom code does not benefit from the many-eyes-shallow-bugs ecosystem of Drupal core.

As I see it, we have the following basic data structure:

Font contains metadata and one or more Versions.
Version contains metadata and one or more Faces (bold, italic, etc).
Face contains metadata.

I also think Alexandre's question is a very important one that needs an answer before we proceed in any direction. The one advantage OFLB has is that typeface authors become the curators of their own fonts, which we don't see so much on, say, Fontsquirrel, Kernest, or Google.

Sent from my iPhone