[OpenFontLibrary] more font categories for OFL

Manuel Schmalstieg webdev at ms-studio.net
Thu Apr 11 16:32:02 PDT 2013

Hey list,

After discussion this afternoon at LGM Madrid with Nathan and Dave, I have
the following proposal for the OpenFontLibrary website: let's add more
categories! More precisely, the common categories used by AtypI (VOX-ATypI
classification) as well as the British Standards Classification of
Typefaces (BS 2961:1967). More details here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vox-ATypI_classification

What's currently on the website:

Blackletter · 4
Dingbat · 12
Display · 38
Handwriting · 39
Monospaced · 12
Sans-serif · 63
Serif · 54

What should be therefore added:

Humanist Serif (or Humanist Classical)
Garalde (examples: EB Garamond, Crimson, Sorts Mill Goudy)
Transitional (example: Open Baskerville)
Didone (example: ADF Berenis)
Mechanistic or Slab Serif (example: Le Patin Helvete)
Grotesque (example: Lil Grotesk)
Neo-grotesque (examples: Chivo, Karla, News Cycle)
Geometric (examples: Futura Renner, Didact Gothic, Tex Gyre Adventor)
Humanist Sans-serif (or Humanist Lineal) (examples: DejaVu, Lato)

>From what we understand, those categories are hardcoded into the system,
and must therefore be added by someone with access to the php files.

What do you think, wouldn't that be neat?

Best,
Manuel | Greyscale Publishing