[OpenFontLibrary] [GFD] OFL-FAQ update draft and web fonts paper

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed May 22 13:15:25 PDT 2013

Hi,

On 22 May 2013 22:07, Vernon Adams <vern at newtypography.co.uk> wrote:

> Or, is there something i am not understanding in this?  :)

I think its unreasonable to expect every person publishing a blog who
makes their own subset to contact every copyright holder every time
they want to use a new OFL-RFN web font.

I think the desirable effect of RFNs can be preserved with a trademark
license, while alleviating the undesirable effect of prohibiting
subsetting and other trivial changes while retaining the name users
are familiar with.

I note that SIL itself also asserts both RFN and trademark rights on
its font names; so if you are keen to maximize control over your font
names, it may make sense to do what I'm suggestion in addition to
RFNs, rather than replacing them.

Cheers