[OpenFontLibrary] Live Web Font Previews in FontForge: Your Feature Requests, Please!

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun Nov 3 04:19:12 CET 2013

Hi!

Back in March I demo'd a new and to me very exciting, unique, feature
of FontForge that I've developed with the AMAZING Dr Ben Martin who
lives down in Australia: real time "Google Docs"-like collaboration in
FontForge, including real time web font previewing.

Here is a 10 minute presentation I gave with Ben about it at the Libre
Graphics Meeting in Madrid at that time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvSWVuauFVI

And here's two 1 minute videos showing the feature working with real users:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMR7H8IWlTI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqwTim6gMHA

This has JUST STARTING to be available as standard in in the Mac
bundle of FontForge which you can download here:

http://fuuko.libferris.com/osx/packages/201311/03_0415/FontForge.app.zip

(If you haven't installed it before, the full instructions are here:

http://fontforge.github.io/en-US/downloads/mac/ :-)

Here is the Github issue tracking the development of this. I just
posted a screenshot so you can see what it looks like:

https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge/issues/878#issuecomment-27637661

Today it has a few odd behaviours, but these should be resolve in the
next week or so.

For anyone wanting to test this out, here's a quick screencast showing
how to get it going:

http://blog.craftingtype.com/post/65853255507/2-new-fontforge-features-available-in-no-other

Please give this a spin!

--