[OpenFontLibrary] [GFD] Tom Phinney on Libre Fonts

Pablo Impallari impallari at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 03:31:40 PDT 2013

One more Thomas, sorry to be a pain in the ass, but....

You say:
"I should be clear that when I say “quality” I am not talking about matters
of mere taste. There are objective aspects of font quality. For example, in
spacing a typical sans serif, if the cap H and N have straight sides, and
the white space (sidebearings) allocated to the left and right sides of the
cap H are significantly different values, and those in turn differ from the
sidebearings of the cap N, then the font is simply badly made."

But... on the Extensis WebINK homepage, there is a banner of the Aston Font
(aka Photolettering Jeanette), that looks like this
http://cl.ly/image/0B3m2W2Q033K

And since you are mentioning sidebearings, this is how it is supposed to
look if properly set:
http://cl.ly/image/132N3H1C2w3L
(This is the Photollettering GonzalesJeanette 1993 digital version)

--
Un Abrazo
Pablo Impallari