[OpenICC] Oyranos first header draft

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri Dec 10 09:36:37 EST 2004

Hi,

here comes my first suggestion of an public header for Oyranos:
<http://www.behrmann.name/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=63>

As I like to see dynamic configuration possible, the most related question
is how to achieve flexibility and allow relyable control for
configurations. It should be as well possible to attach an strange device
and guess for an device profile (as long as available), and to let all
applications use allways the same profile for an certain device.

In the current implementaion, which is based on the above header, all
attributes are cooked into one large string tagged to an Oyranos registred
device. To allow differnt keyword for the search and in order to avoid
variable arguments and the like I suggest an fixed number of arguments for
the oyGet/SetDeviceProfile functions. With an additional flag the
attributes can made mandatory (not yet included).

One difficulty I encountered with the monitor detection is the possibility
of different naming of colour related settings and device names. It
beginns with the simple mixing up , using diffent system tools until
localisation issues. I am not shure what is the best strategy to make the
identification robust and flexible at once.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + imaging development / panoramas
                                + color management