[OpenICC] X and colour management

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Feb 9 05:37:08 EST 2005

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> Hardware information API in Xlib:
>
> Reading out the EDID information (as proposed by Egbert Eich) and
> interprete it regarding model information, seems possible. I dont know how
> stable this is throughout different implementations.
> I found no way, other than looking directly in the X config file, to find
> out the model name of the grafic card + ID number over Xlib. An
> dedicated API for this informations would be highly welcome.

Is it really necessary to know the detailed information for the
graphics card and display ID?  It seems to me that what is needed is a
way to accurately identify a given display device so that the correct
profile is used.  For example, the ethernet "IEEE" 48-bit MAC address
could be used to uniquely identify the host where the X11 server runs
(could be a dedicated X11 terminal), and a system-specific means could
be used to produce a number which uniquely identifies the physical
display device on that host (could be the existing X11 display ID).

There should be support (somehow) for systems where a single X11
display ID is split across multiple display devices.  This seems quite
difficult.  Perhaps this situation could be intentionally ignored in
the interest of making progress.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us