[Openicc] GIMP color management

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Feb 21 03:12:18 EST 2005

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005, Jan-Peter Homann wrote:

> Don´t implement colormanagement as module inside the application
> Instead:
>
> support LINUX Graphics Library
> -----------------------
> Force your power to a LINUX agraphics-library which can handle bitmaps,
> vectorgraphics and textobjects in RGB, Gray and CMYK. This graphics libray
> should also provide color selectors for this colorspaces and ICC
> transformations on all objects.

I agree with your color management summary text except for the above.
In the open source world, there are currently *many* libraries and
applications which support the above features, except that they lack
coherent color management.  Due to the (usually) friendly and
cooperative anarchy which is the open source movement, it can be
expected that there will continue to be many independent image
processing, rendering, and printing environments.  The best we can
hope for is a an application agnostic framework or library which can
be used to enhance existing rendering environments with color
management.  Even if this is not achieved, a standard of operation and
a standard way to install color profiles and describe the local color
management intentions/process would be a great benefit to the
community. A compliance test suite (inputs and expected output) would
also be a benefit.

Ultimately the user should not need to care if she is using Gnome/Gdk,
KDE/Qt, gimp-print, VTK, OpenGL, ImageMagick, libart, imlib, GD, X11,
Ghostscript, Mozilla, SVG, CinePaint, GIMP, or any other combination
of software environments.  As long as there is a definition of
expected behavior, and verified compliance to that definition, then
the user can expect correct behavior.

Bob