[Openicc] Workingsspace vs. late binding

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Feb 23 03:11:01 EST 2005

Your explanations where very interessting.

One thing I can not agree is the emphasis on sRGB/RGB as default
workspace in early binding, because of:

1. Artists are invited to see nothing outside sRGB/RGB.
The advantage one device has over an other will been cutted down.

2. Consistent color:
 if one workspace is used - all artwork will look the same,
,this is what it suggests to naive users,
will cause many surprises and the believing in CMS will degrade.

For working according numbers CIE*Lab is much more confident than any RGB.
Colour naming should be separated from device close representation.
It is the well established base of the ICC standard.

The clear point for an conversion to workspace is: before colour
changes convert to workspace. It is an easy rule to follow in dayly
practice. Colour pickers should show the device colours only on explicite
request. The default profiles are an good way to go with.

There is no simple way with both early and late binding. Late
binding seems more flexible. Last but not least, inflation of profiles
seems to me better than inflation of conversion during repeatedly data
exchange.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management