[Openicc] new version of xcalib

Stefan Döhla color at doehla.de
Thu Mar 3 10:54:32 EST 2005

Hi folks,

there's a new version of xcalib available. Grab it at
http://www.etg.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de/web/doe/xcalib/ . It fixes
really grave bugs for 8bit vcg-tables.

Additionally, a Win32 version is available. It can be used as an
alternative to commercial gamma loaders. You may place it in Autostart
to load the vcgt-content to your video-card's LUT on start-up.

The Win32 version uses the default display profile as set in
"display properties-> properties -> advanced -> color management". For
Linux we do not have a common place for default profiles right now -
but this will hopefully be solved soon.

What I didn't test: Are results the same for Win32 and Linux???
One must have two very similar displays to evaluate the difference.
This isn't so much in question with xcalib - it's a general question:
Can we assume, colors are displayed the same with X and Win32?

What I don't know:
- Are the outputs really driven the same?
- Is the same gamma used at the output?

These questions should be answered with "yes" - but as I told you, I
don't have the equipment to test it on my own. If you have two similar
displays (and two very similar video-cards): Please check whether the
above said is true and answer to this mail. You can use standard test
images or whatever you have available.

Happy testing
Stefan