[Openicc] XICC specification draft

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Fri Jul 1 23:35:35 EST 2005

I'm listening, and I think more importantly, Keith Packard has recently
started listening (I poked him last week that these discussions were
interesting).

Certainly from our point of view, having the window system presume
device independent RGB is a major simplification.  That is why I was
cluing this list in to the new Composite extension, as it certainly
could be used to such effect, if adequate (particularly for the Xinerama
case, when less critical applications are in use).

Another place to stand that will also potentially provide a lot of
leverage is Cairo, which GTK, Mozilla, Mono and other projects are
adopting (the big exception at the moment is Qt, which seems intent on
reinventing this wheel themselves, not fully appreciating how difficult
that wheel is to create).

For those of you unfamiliar with Cairo, see www.cairographics.org.  It
provides a 2D graphics postscript like API for anti-aliased text and
graphics, with Porter/Duff image compositing, in a cross platform
fashion, for both screens and printing.  We believe it is second-to-none
in this area.

It should be hitting its 1.0 release in the next few months, and start
seeing widespread deployment late this year.  GTK has now accepted it as
a strong dependency; Keith demo'ed it early this week at a meeting
rendering everything on his screen (all GTK widgets are using it for
their rendering).
				Regards,
					- Jim