[Openicc] Re: [Lcms-user] Seeking Generic CMYK Profile

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Tue Aug 2 01:56:04 EST 2005

Hi Peter, hi list
The following discussion should be moved to the openicc mailinglist,
because it is general point, not only connected with LCMS.

PLinnell wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Can anyone point me to a decent freely distributable CMYK "generic
 > print" icc profile ? One which we could ship with Scribus and perhaps
 > some other OSS apps. The idea is just to have the CMS operable right
 > from the start.
 >
 > The ECI profiles are good, but too large to ship with apps and cannot
 > be split up by the license.
 >
 > Thanks in advance,
 >
 > Peter

distribution / Adobe / ECI"

Kai Uwe made an installers according this discussion under:

The "ECI Offset2004" package ia available as rpm from:
<http://www.behrmann.name/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=68>

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann

                                 + http://www.behrmann.name

For an optimal solution, the standard printer-profiles for OSS
applications should be calculated with argyllCMS on the basis of
standard characterization-data:

CGATS TR001 (SWOP)
FOGRA27 (ISOcoated)

from http://www.color.org

If anybody would be interested to do this, I would give some
recomendations about gamutmapping and blackgeneration. I also would test
the profiles in comparison to Adobe / ECI versions.

Unfortunatly, i´m not user of the terminal, so I can´t do it by myself.

If somebody would write  a GUI for argyll-scripting, the OSS-community
could deliver a functionality, which is not available at Adobe, Quark or
other DTP-software vendors:

Calculating printing profiles from standard-characterization-data with
different black-generation.

This is nothing for beginners, but it would be really impressive to
professional users, which often asked for this feature in Photoshop /
InDesign.

:-) Jan-Peter

homann colormanagement ------ fon/fax +49 30 611 075 18
Jan-Peter Homann ------------- mobile +49 171 54 70 358