[OpenICC] colour palettes/lists

Sven Neumann sven at gimp.org
Sat Sep 17 06:23:02 EST 2005

Hi,

Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> writes:

>> Are there widely used formats for inter application exchange of pen
>> colours (documented and extensible)?
>
> I think there are only two widely used formats: Gimp's and
> Photoshop's.  The Gimp format is quite limited.

That is true, but last I checked the Photoshop palette file format was
even more limited than the one that the GIMP authors invented about a
decade ago. Currently GIMP reads a number of formats:

typedef enum
{
  GIMP_PALETTE_FILE_FORMAT_UNKNOWN,
  GIMP_PALETTE_FILE_FORMAT_GPL,      /* GIMP palette                        */
  GIMP_PALETTE_FILE_FORMAT_RIFF_PAL, /* RIFF palette                        */
  GIMP_PALETTE_FILE_FORMAT_ACT,      /* Photoshop binary color palette      */
  GIMP_PALETTE_FILE_FORMAT_PSP_PAL   /* JASC's Paint Shop Pro color palette */
} GimpPaletteFileFormat;

All of these are limited to 8bit RGB and thus not of much use.

Sven