[OpenICC] colour palettes/lists

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 10:35:55 EST 2005

On 9/17/05, Sven Neumann <sven at gimp.org> wrote:

> Yes, please do. You may also want to integrate the following info then:

Done, thank you for the elaboration

> I also mentioned the palette formats in my previous post.

Also done

> I would also appreciate if you could fix the name. It is "GNU Image
> Manipulation Program", or if you prefer acronyms, GIMP, but not "The
> GIMP".

Fixed, thank you. I was confused by GIMP's logo at www.gimp.org and
toolbox's caption. Do you want bugzilla entries for both of them?

> It would also be interesting to collect information on what formats
> are used to exchange data over the Clipboard and Drag-and-Drop. Is
> such a list available?

Not that I know of.

A couple of days ago Igor Novikov from sK1 team contacted me about
this also and suggested to work out a uniform file format for
clipboard exchange. He mentioned png/jpg/tiff for bitmap clipboard and
eps/ps/svg for vector clipboard as possible formats.

The way they (sK1 team) are doing it in their applications now is as
following. A copied selection is stored in e.g. ~/.sK1/ and clipboards
is fed with a string like <sK1>~/.sK1/file_name. Cache with such
entries is cleaned up either manually or automatically upon
start/close of application. Each application has its own cache.

You can find his contacts in the list of contributors at
http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/index.php/Shared_resources (just
like yourself)

I believe that create's mailing list is a better place for discussions
of clipboard exchange standard, I just don't know if both of you are
subscribed to it or have fun for reading another mailing list (I dare
to hope you do in this particular case :).

Anyway, feel free to add another section to Shared resources spec or
create a new spec beginning from
http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
('Specifications' section). It's a wiki after all :)

Alexandre