[OpenICC] Oyranos APIs update

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Sep 28 16:59:57 EST 2005

On Sep 21, 2005, at 11:49 AM, Glenn Randers-Pehrson wrote:

> Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>

>> The internet browser should attach the sRGB profile during download.
>> Is this realistically thought? Can we expect morzilla and
>> konqueror and co
>> do like we suggest?
>>

> I don't think so.  The browsers currently download images unmodified,
> and users
> expect that.

For display, they must be modified (display compensation on the fly).
When saved onto disk the actual downloaded data is what's saved.

Users expect the same image to look the same, as though different
displays do not really have different color behavior. I know of no
user who expects images to be "unmodified" such that they actually do
look different on every display.

>   When you select an image (or any kind of document) for
> download,
> you get a menu (SOURCE | TEXT | POSTSCRIPT).  I suppose we could
> ask for
> another
> menu item or two, e.g., sRGB PNG | sRGB JPEG, which would give images
> with
> sRGB tags.

This would be the original downloaded data, but embedded an sRGB
profile? I think that's fine, but perhaps not necessary when
practically untagged images are treated as sRGB anyway.

Chris Murphy
Color Remedies (TM)
www.colorremedies.com/realworldcolor