[OpenICC] Oyranos APIs update

Craig Bradney cbradney at zip.com.au
Thu Sep 29 06:10:29 EST 2005

On Wednesday 28 September 2005 21:58, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Sep 28, 2005, at 1:55 PM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> > Tagging is nice for single images, like for single stills, but a
> > waste for
> > thousand of images. As well heterogenous colour management will
> > allways
> > be. There are reasons not to use ICC style CM, even if we wish here
> > to do
> > our best to support it.
>
> Tagging doesn't necessarily mean fully embedding an ICC profile. A
> simple matrix profile will barely take up 2k of space. But even if
> that's too much, there needs to be an agreed upon mechanism for
> supporting color space information, if only by proxy. So either the
> format is open to more than one color space, in which case it needs
> to have a mechanism to define the space used; or the format is closed
> and defines a single supported color space.
>
> If people are unwilling to do this, then by definition the format
> isn't taking color seriously, and trying to second guess that outside
> of the specifications process for that format is probably a complete
> waste of time.

It might be worth noting that while all this is wonderfully idealistic, there
are a LOT of existing graphics files in all kinds of formats that people will
use and apply formats to. Programs that do or will use CMS or libraries that
support CMS need to handle these just as well as the rest. You simply cannot
exclude certain formats from being used by whatever user base, and even if
they were to convert them to a supporting format, you then must give them the
ability to supply a profile, assuming they even have an idea what it
originated from.

Craig
Scribus Team