[OpenICC] Oyranos APIs update

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri Sep 30 16:43:09 EST 2005

Am 30.09.05, 15:26 +1000 schrieb Graeme Gill:
> Chris Murphy wrote:

> > And you're assuming that it's ambiguous, yet you're providing no
> > compelling evidence that it is, just that it might be someday to  someone
> > somewhere. An integer based RGB editing space is pretty darn
> > unambiguous.
>
> People use other spaces than RGB in Photoshop all the time
> to edit images. That (and there being no technical reason
> compelling image editing in RGB spaces) is sufficient for me
> to know that editing spaces don't have to be well behaved RGB spaces,
> even though it may be often desirable for many people.

Photo editors capable of editing many colour spaces need to select from
various sources. We had this discussion for CinePaint as well, to limit to
eighter the colour space class or the display class only. But let it fall
in favour of any class, despite named profiles and device links.

What could help for proper application dependent editing space selection,
without touching any ICC spec internals, would be a CMS function, which
parses a list of profiles and check for:
o colour space (allow to limit to RGB, Lab, CMYK ...)
o check for gray balance (useful for RGB, Lab, (CMYK seems not))
o ... suggestions

I added this allready to the feature wish list of Oyranos and preserved
place in the API for colour space selection.
Hope this will serve different kind of applications well.

What I can do for Oyranos is no standard to interoperate with
different OSs, which is possibly a certain point in the discussion above.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management
                                + imaging / panoramas