[Openicc] Do we want /usr/local/share/color/icc as a third profile directory ?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sat Nov 26 09:27:58 PST 2005

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

>> So, I agree with Kai-Uwe's proposed two *Linux standard* directories, but
>> packages should use $PREFIX/share/color/icc for formally installed profiles
>> and should not require that anything be installed in "OS" directories unless
>> they are configured to do so.
>
> Then the application has to make shure its path is known to Oyranos. By a:
>  oyPathAdd( $PREFIX/share/color/icc ); call

While most Linux users are used to having complete control over their
machine, there are other environments where the person who installs
the software does not have administrative authority for the machine.
In fact, the content of official-seeming paths may be quite unusable
and full of junk.  So it is necessary to establish a Linux paths
standard, but also ensure sane behavior from packages which are
installed to a different path due to administrative reasons.

Linux is just one operating system among many.  It is a Unix-type
system.  So while standard paths should be established for Linux
distributions, independently maintained packages which target POSIX
(rather than just Linux) systems need to use a common design which
exactly supports the Linux paths when formally installed, but ensures
sane operation when installed to some other location.

Bob