[Openicc] Open Source compatible AdobeRGB profile

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Jul 4 23:15:40 PDT 2006

Graeme pointed allready the mathematical side for AdobeRGB out, which is
very simple. Good naming would be a requirement to create a substitude.

more below...

Am 04.07.06, 19:22 -0400 schrieb Hubert Figuiere:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there is any solution fully compatible with Open
> Source to have AdobeRGB color profiles for a color management system.
>
> I saw Adobe's announcement back in November, but unfortunately the
> licensing term for said profiles is still no compatible with Open Source
> software:
> http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/iccprofiles/iccprofiles_linux.html
>
> First off all having two different license depending on who download
> does not make it.

Why are these profiles not compatible with open source software? The
profiles are based on open standards. They can be used without problems
in open source and binary only applications.

Dual licensing is common practise for many open source projects.

> Second, the End-User licence
> <http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/iccprofiles/icc_eula_unix_end.html>
> has in paragraph 2 the following restriction:
>
> > No other distribution of the Software is allowed; including, without
> > limitation, distribution of the Software when incorporated into or
> > bundled with any application software.
>
> Which means that one can not distribution the ICC with an application.

>From a technical point of view, I would not recommend this.
Even Adobe had changed they're profiles in the past, with the effect that
sometimes applications have trouble to identify profiles. In the end
unnecessary conversions between the same colour space may occure.
It is allways better to have standard profiles installed in a respected
place and the software can expect the colour space is available.

> Third, the "distribution" license:
>
> > 3. DISTRIBUTION. If you choose to distribute the Software, you do so
> > with the understanding that you agree to defend, indemnify, and hold
> > harmless Adobe against any losses, damages, or costs arising from any
> > claims, lawsuits, or other legal actions arising out of such
> > distribution, including, without limitation, product liability and
> > other claims by consumers and your failure to comply with this
> > Section 3. If you distribute the Software on a standalone or bundled
> > basis, you will do so by first obtaining the agreement of the end
> > user under the terms of either the Adobe End User License Agreement
> > ("Adobe EULA"), attached as Exhibit B, or your own license agreement
> > which (a) complies with the terms and conditions of this Agreement;
> > (b) effectively disclaims all warranties and conditions, express or
> > implied, on behalf of Adobe; (c) effectively excludes all liability
> > for damages on behalf of Adobe; (d) substantially states that any
> > provisions that differ from this Agreement are offered by you alone
> > and not Adobe; and (e) substantially states that the Software is
> > available from you or Adobe and informs licensees how to obtain it in
> > a reasonable manner on or through a medium customarily used for
> > software exchange. Any distributed Software will include the Adobe
> > copyright notices as included in the Software provided to you by
> > Adobe.
>
> Which clearly restrict distribution in the case mentionned above. That
> means that an application that is licensed under an open source still
> cannot distribute the color profile because of the above restriction.

Ok, the above clause is Adobe centric and thus maybe a bit irritating.
Nethertheless any open source license comes with a disclaimer.
Even with a BSD license you have to fullfill the terms.
On the other hand, GPL is not the easiest license in regards of
compatibility.

> I was wondering if any effort was done in that area?

Can you make suggestions to better accept profile packages with
propriarity licenses?

> I know that Adobe people are listening here, and I really wish they will
> reply (people like Patrice Lagrange who made the original announcement).
>
> This is a very important matter as support AdobeRGB colorspace is a
> requirements for digital photography applications, including but not
> limited to DNG support. I shall remind that most cameras offer to save
> images in the AdobeRGB color space, and that the DNG specification
> mandates that AdobeRGB color space be supported as it is one of the
> possible color space.
>
> Thanks
>
> Hub

regards