[Openicc] Open Source compatible AdobeRGB profile

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Sat Jul 8 02:01:19 PDT 2006

Le Vendredi 7 Juillet 2006 12:11, Kai-Uwe Behrmann a écrit :
> Adobe itself recommends to use "compatible with Adobe RGB (1998)" as
> naming for AdobeRGB like colour spaces. This is probably due to
> preparation to get this colour space adopted into standards, as
> Gilles Caulier from digiKam project pointed out.
> see: http://www.adobe.com/adobergb
>
> As "compatible with Adobe RGB (1998).icc" is a bit unconventional for a
> file name I would like to name the profile compatibleWithAdobeRGB.icc .
> This is better recognizable and not limited to EXIF.
>
> Gilles and others,
> would you take advantage of that profile? I like to packaged it
> into the Oyranos' profiles collection. Location is /usr/share/color/icc
> on linux.

Well i understand why Adobe have created this specific profile.

In fact, i have explain to you that the Exif.Photo.ColorSpace can be set to
'2' (AdobeRGB) by some camera. This value do not exist in current Exif spec
2.1, but will be certainly add to future 3.0 spec.

But the problem is more complicated : Some cameras use Exif MakerNote area to
store the color space used to transform the picture. And some cameras use
another color space than sRGB and AdobeRGB. For example, in my Dynax 5D, i
can use sRGB+natural ! This is suck roally because the colorspace profile is
not stored by the camera itself, certainly to reduce the size of image file.

In fact it's infernal to drive the right picture color space taken with a
camera. Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Olympus etc, use a private and uncompatible
maker note values.

Gilles