[OpenICC] Device Settings in ICC

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Mon Sep 4 09:18:39 PDT 2006

Dear readers,

as discussed some time ago and prepared on the ColourWiki pages I finally
created a specification on how I imagine a ICC profile could include
device driver specific settings.

Goal is to allow easy checking of profile to device/driver matching and
correct configuring of the device driver. The best matching profile can
be filtered for a given device/driver combo. Thus the installation of a
profile, including the new tag, becomes a simple file copy. Everything
else is configured automatic by the tag.

Technically it is a hybrid approach of well known and interpreted settings
and a thumb part to keep the structure flexible.

http://www.oyranos.org/wiki/index.php?title=Device_Settings_in_ICC_0.1

I would, as allways, be interessted in opinions and suggestions.

Target is to create an API in Oyranos to support the tag (writing,
manipulation, searching), and to encourage device driver authors to
provide the necessary counterpart API's (Gutenprint, Sane, dcraw ...).
Possibly there is room to standardize corresponding driver API's for
uniformity?
Finally applications can adopt the system.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management
                                + imaging / panoramas