[OpenICC] Device Settings in ICC

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Mon Sep 4 21:42:27 PDT 2006

Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:

> In fact I'm even wondering, which information in the suggested "DevS"
> tag needs to be interpreted by an instance != driver? Is there really a
> need for all the fixed fields, or would probably even a tuple
> [driverID,driverSpecificSettingsBlob] be sufficient?

Yes, this thought crossed my mind too :- either standardize
it all (no binary blob), or standardize none of it (all
binary blob).

> For
> maintaining the tag in profiles there could be a simple utility program
> which dumps the DevS tag to a file, or vice versa, reads a file and adds
> its contents as DevS tag to a profile (or replaces an existing tag).
> This would give the opportunity to maintain the DevS tag, even if the
> profiler is not aware of this tag (for instance, if an arbitrary
> commercial profiler is used). And if the contents of the tag is ASCII
> text, a file with the DevS contents can be easily edited with a text editor.

Yep, this is the type of thing we did in Cyclone within the calibration
system. The ability to add the information to an existing profile is
certainly needed in order to support profiles from all sources.