[OpenICC] Device Settings in ICC

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Sep 5 05:16:12 PDT 2006

Am 05.09.06, 06:41 -0400 schrieb Robert L Krawitz:

>    Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 11:59:50 +0200 (CEST)
>    From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de>
>
>    Am 04.09.06, 16:10 -0400 schrieb Robert L Krawitz:
>
>    > I'd suggest adding a field specifying the highest allowable
>    > driver version also.  For example, a profile made against
>    > Gimp-Print 4.2.7 should not be used with Gutenprint 5.0.0 (of
>    > course, these can be disambiguated by name, but that's only
>    > because we renamed the package -- we certainly won't be making a
>    > habit of that!)
>
>    Please turn it in the lowest allowable driver version.  For
>    instance Gutenprint set a colour driver in stone in version 5.0.0.
>    That particular device driver can be used despite lets say
>    Gutenprint has allready reached version 5.2.15. Lets call it
>    compatibility version. It has to been specified on a per device
>    basis. If with version 5.2.16 the driver for out device show
>    colours now different, the new compatibility version would become
>    5.2.16. It should be equal to the device driver number in the
>    IccDeviceSettingsTag. I have to make it more clear or change it in
>    the device settings tag spec.
>
> What happens if someone wants to create a profile with an older
> version?

For a unknown lowest compatibility version no assumption can be made
exept for identical versions or guessing (maybe by reading email lists).
In case the user knows about the version range the profile will be usefull
for, s/he can edit the driver_version in the profile accordingly.

> --
> Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk at alum.mit.edu>
>
> Tall Clubs International  --  http://www.tall.org/ or 1-888-IM-TALL-2
> Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net
> Project lead for Gutenprint   --    http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net
>
> "Linux doesn't dictate how I work, I dictate how Linux works."
> --Eric Crampton

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management