[OpenICC] Device Settings in ICC

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Tue Sep 5 06:04:19 PDT 2006

Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> 6 Bytes is for the company name only. I hope most companies use
> distinguishing names to it might be enough.

There is already a standard tag to identify the device manufacturer,
icSigDeviceMfgDescTag. Why duplicate this in a non-standard way ?

 > For Device names I needed more
> letters. So the next entry has 18 letters available.
> If you come up with examples of undistinguishable names, I would
> certainly change my mind.
> On the other side compactness paired with simplicity is very important.

There is also standard tag for the model name, icSigDeviceModelDescTag.

> The driver must provide its settings. Such a interface must exit or must
> been created. Otherwise it is pointless. In the case of existing
> interfaces with own data structures, they can easily used as is. Just
> write the application that takes advantage of it.

This implies that the information must really be
supplied by the driver as an undefined data lump.
If it is not standardized, then the ICC profile
is really just being a carrier for the information.

> I must have overseen. After some reading, the tag seems complex,
> inflexible and is half way finished (too less options, msft only).

It's complex, because it tries to be flexible. Only
microsoft stuff is defined, because it's platform specific,
which is an advantage in this case - noone has defined
what options are valid for Linux etc., so there's
no possibility of a clash or conflict, and it's not
so likely anyone will object to defining such things
for that platform.

> I had thought of prepending the information and providing compatibility
> through a extraction and embedding function + a commandline tool. See:
> http://www.oyranos.org/wiki/index.php?title=Device_Settings#Implementation_Details

Yes, this also is workable.