[Openicc] google SoC starts

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Sat Feb 17 17:17:11 PST 2007

On Saturday 17 February 2007 12:54, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Saturday 17 February 2007, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > > The LProf project applied last year and was rejected within minutes.
> > > But perhaps a larger umbrella group would be given more consideration.
> > >  Also it does not say anywhere in the Google SoC materials that the
> > > organization applying has to registered to a government.
> >
> > Well, maybe I have misunderstood, the reason for refusing KOffice last
> > year
> >
> > :/ But then we can try and then see what we do if they refuse.
>
> I think that was more because koffice is seen as part of kde, not a really
> separate project. That, and there are some undercurrents in the Google SoC
> decision process that are not quite susceptible to logical analysis.

When LProf was rejected I very politely asked what the reason was and what I
might do to improve my odds next time.   What I was told was that they had
already filled all of the slots in my apps category.    Which did not make
any sense to me since I am fairly certain that no color management apps were
part of this last year.  Apparently the color management category had zero
slots available.  What was really striking was how fast it was rejected as it
took less than an hour from when I sent in the application.  So I guess that
I need to get the application in earlier to be considered since presumably
there might still be slots available if I get it in early enough.

Hal