[Openicc] google SoC starts

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Sun Feb 18 00:57:28 PST 2007

Am 17.02.07, 18:30 -0800 schrieb Lars Borg:

> Yes, ideally, all possible CMMs should be selectable in any application.
> That's not the case today.
> And it doesn't make a case for creating more CMMs.

It would be nice to cover the upcoming HDR requirements i.e. tonemapping
in a new CMM framework.

> Sadly, it doesn't know from where to get the monitor profile.
> Is there still no single standard for how to get it on Linux?

The ICC profile in X is supported through Oyranos and thus in CinePaint,
and through a different implementation based in the same standard through
eog (Gnomes image utility) and Gimp.

With Oyranos one can set and read monitor profiles in X.

See as well by other email about EDID, X and ICC profiles.

> For Windows and Mac there is a strong case for why a user would want access to
> the Adobe CMM outside Adobe applications. They want the same color conversion
> results in all their tools, and Adobe's is pretty good and cross-platform.
> (Well, Win and Mac, that is.)
>
> My impression is that for Linux there isn't such a case. Show me I'm wrong.
> :-)

Indeed. Would you like to bring in your expertise for creating such a
general API and help making it fit for future expansions?
Goal would be to have the resulting API available cross platform and use
or extent native API's.

I have the head full of ideas. Some help and as well new ideas are
welcome to implement, test, port and document.

For instance, a SoC project could be offered covering a API proposal and
its implementation.
Someone from Adobe being available as contact person or as mentor for a
according project would be highly welcome by most of the OpenIcc members,
I guess.

The OpenIcc projects list collecting ideas here:
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/OpenIccForGoogleSoC2007

> Lars Borg
> Principal Scientist
> Adobe Systems