CMM support (Was: Re: [Openicc] google SoC starts)

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Feb 18 08:50:24 PST 2007

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007, Hubert Figuiere wrote:

> Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
>>> From what I remember by doing an interview with Scribus guys, they are
>> planning to abstract color management and make it possible to use
>> various CMM on various OSes. I fail to see why someone good at Adobe's
>> CMM would want to reject using it from Scribus ;-)
>
> Scribus is GPL, right? Does that CMM involve linking (even indirectly)
> to it? If yes then that is problem. Even more since Scribus use Qt....
> (just expressing my opinion here)

It sounds like GPL is being made out to be something it is not.
Don't confuse stricter rules (e.g. Debian) with being "GPL".  We can
all read so we can all read the GPL license.

GPL does not restrict execution of the "program".  It only enforces
rules when copying the "program".  From my own viewpoint, if the CMM
is accessed as a pure loadable module (not using any interfaces or
symbols from the "program") or external program, and the CMM is not
required for normal functioning of the "program" then the CMM does not
require distribution according to GPL rules since it is not part of
the "program".  Any user-provided CMM could then be used as long as it
supports the defined interface.

It would be good to have several CMMs available under Linux which all
offer the same loadable-module interface.

Bob