CMM support (Was: Re: [Openicc] google SoC starts)

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Mar 16 10:36:34 PDT 2007

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Craig Ringer wrote:

>> It would be good to have several CMMs available under Linux which all
>> offer the same loadable-module interface.
>
> Yep... so again, producing a decent CMM API abstraction would be
> desirable. I don't expect it'd be easy by any stretch however, not even
> for more basic facilities.

Presumably the existing CMM APIs used under Windows or Mac can be used
as a design template?  Unfortunately, there are tradeoffs between
interface abstraction and performance.  The more abstract the
interface is, the lower the performance is likely to be unless great
care is taken.  It seems that OpenGL performs well and has many
similar interfacing requirements so it does seem that a good portable
CMM pluggable-module interface can be developed without sacrificing
too much performance.

Bob