[Openicc] seeking for advice on rendering intent and black point compensation

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Oct 3 08:39:16 PDT 2007

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Craig Ringer wrote:

> I do wonder if defaulting to converting mismatched images to the working
> space is the best idea, though. I'm increasingly inclined to leave
> images in their native colour space and let the colour management system
> take care of making sure I get a reasonable view of the image on screen.

GIMP is primarily an editing environment and it is one which has been
primarily tuned (over many years) for sRGB.  If the image colorspace
is very different from sRGB, then the various GIMP drawing bits (e.g.
color selection, blending, dithering, brushes, patterns, effects)
which are designed for sRGB won't produce the expected effect.  Even
if the colors for every editing operation were carefully converted to
the input file's working space, the results would still not be the
same.

There is surely some loss when converting to sRGB but this still seems
like the desired default approach given GIMPs long legacy and many
authors/plugins.

Bob