[Openicc] seeking for advice on rendering intent and black point compensation

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Oct 4 00:23:18 PDT 2007

Am 04.10.07, 13:23 +0800 schrieb Craig Ringer:
> Graeme Gill wrote:
> > It depends (as usual) on the type of users. Some I'm sure don't
> > know, and don't want to know much/anything about color, and will
> > be pleased with defaults and minimal hassles. On the other hand,
> > those that do worry about exactly how the image is going to
> > look, will be concerned with these details for nearly
> > every image they work on, and may be irritated by the
> > need to remember to invoke a separate command for every image.
>
> When you face this sort of user level distinction, it can be worth
> having an expandable dialog where a ">>" or whatever button shows
> advanced options (and once tabbed open, remembers its state). The
> GTK+/GNOME file dialog takes this approach, and while I don't much like
> how they did it, the principle is sound.

So you vote for hiding options in such a dialog?

This dialog principle is agreed generally a fine one. Anyway,
it easily collides with established rules.
The idea for the rendering options dialog is to have a preference setting:
what to do in a missmatch situation. Then the unteached user may not have
to click at all in a dialog. Advanced users may like to retain control,
this time with all options. (A conversion notification would always be
good style.)

... just some other words to finally agree to Graeme:

> The best solution may be to allow this behaviour to be
> configurable - traditionally in image manipulation
> programs there is a configuration that allows setting
> the behaviour for profile mismatch (ie. "Ignore", "Convert",
> "Ask"), assumed profile, when to embed profiles etc.

My vote goes to not starting new conventions for colour management
dialogs, like the expandable dialog design in exchange of the conventional
missmatch preference/popup combination.
A new convention would easliy produce user questions like:
"Why is it not like in Gimp, Scribus, GraphicsMagick, DJV ..."

www.behrmann.name + www.oyranos.org + www.cinepaint.org