[Openicc] out of gamut

Jon A. Cruz jon at joncruz.org
Sat Oct 6 17:57:31 PDT 2007

On Oct 6, 2007, at 2:35 PM, Sven Neumann wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 01:24 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
>
>> I've noticed that Cinepaint, GIMP (SVN) and Inkscape (SVN) use
>> different default color to show out-of-gamut colors:
>>
>> Cinenaint: (rather) neutral grey
>> GIMP: magenta (#ff00ff)
>> Inkscape: salad green (#00ff00)
>>
>> Scribus: greyish, not configurable
>
> The default color used in GIMP is preliminary and subject to
> changes. I
> was about to ask here what the experts suggest as a good default...

The rather neutral grey seems to be a default in LittleCMS.
However... most sources I've read recommend a very vibrant color to
make it more noticeable. I believe that some experienced
professionals might prefer the initial grey, but probably the vast
majority of users would benefit from defaulting to a vibrant color.
Those users who know it is needed, etc, would also be more able to
easily change it.

As to green vs. magenta... I've used both myself. A book on color
management for digital photographers also has an author with a
personal preference for magenta.