[Openicc] ColorVision Open Source Policy

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Mon Nov 12 18:40:36 PST 2007

Hal V. Engel wrote:
> I agree.  The correct response to ColorVision not wanting anything to do with
> open source is to return the favor and have nothing to do with them.   The
> response I got from them was much stronger and much more negative than I had
> expected.  Other firms I have contacted about this were at worst non-commital
> and they were willing to at least talk about it.

About a year ago I was encourage to look at supporting the
ColorVision products. I was therefore a little surprised on
contacting them recently for some co-operation in regard
to this, to receive a response very similar to the one
you received. I'm not sure I would have bothered completing
support for the Spyder 2, if I'd realized that they seem to
be hostile to the use of Linux as a desktop platform. I certainly
don't feel it's worth wasting time on the Spyder 3 or any other
ColorVision product at the moment.

If I were one of their "special Linux Clients" (such as
some of the VFX companies), I think I'd tend to go for
an instrument supported by open source drivers over
proprietary ones, unless there were something very compelling
about the instrument hardware, simply because of the flexibility
that brings for internal tool development.