[Openicc] ColorVision Open Source Policy

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Mon Nov 12 21:01:20 PST 2007

Hal V. Engel wrote:

> That is already the case.  The ArgyllCMS meter code does have preliminary
> support for the Huey but I have not been able to get it to work on my machine
> on either Windows or Linux.   But the code is so new that I am not surprised
> that there are glitches at this point.  In any case once these issues are

Noone has reported any issues to me, but then I have no idea whether
many have tried. USB in general seems rather more platform fragile
than is desirable in my experience. Linux seems worse than most.

> The only feature of the vendor software that is not supported is the ambient
> light adjustment feature and I would rather that they removed the extra
> sensor from the device and charged less money since I think this feature is a
> marketing ploy rather than something that is really useful.

In principle this can be useful, but I suspect it is something
that would bamboozle many users.

The logical way to use this is to do a viewing conditions
transform (ie. using something like CIECAM02) to allow
simulation of another (say standard) lighting condition
in the actual lighting condition.